Scotland vs Finland
Match Report

Scotland v Finland, Friendly Match
Wed 22nd April 1998

Scotland 1 - Finland 1, (HT: 1-1), Easter Road, Edinburgh, 22/4/98, Att.: 15,000+

SCOTLAND: Leighton, Elliott (Weir 46), Whyte, Calderwood (Durie 71), Hendry, Dailly (Boyd 87), Collins, Gemmill (Lambert 76), McKinlay, Booth (Donnelly 76), Jackson (Gallacher 46).
Scorer: Jackson (15)

FINLAND: Niemi, Ylonen, Tuomela (Kinnunen 64), Hyypia, Koskinen, Mahlio, Reini Turpeinen (46), Valakari, Sumiala (Kolkka 37), Litmanen (Riihilahti 46), Johansson (Paatelainen 59).

Scorer: (10)

Referee: Dick van Dijk (Holland)

Match Report

The second in a series of largely unimpressive friendly matches against Scandinavian opposition has shown Scotland to be still rather weak and requiring some tuning up in time for the World Cup Finals in June. Last month saw Scotland produce a lack lustre 1-0 loss at home to Denmark and this months trip to Easter Road netted a 1-1 with an equally lack-lustre Finland side.

The recent Scotland slide to position No 44 in the world rankings was not helped by the final result of this match. True, Scotland were dabbling a bit with some new ideas and tactics but it is getting a bit late to make too many changes before the opening game in paris on June 10th against Brazil. The side needs to settle down now and be taught to play together.

Scotland got a fright (and the jolt they deserved) when Johansson scored with only 10 minutes gone in the match. he latched onto a long pass and with excellent control, he fooled the flailing Leighton.

5 minutes later, Scotland levelled. The ball spent a few rebounds in the danger area before Booths shot was stopped but fell to jackson who was able to convert it from close in. Looks like craig Browns favourite person called Jackson has just booked his place for the World Cup.

The game bumbled onwards and Jackson came close mid way through the first half. Play strolled on and was keeping the fans well and truly captivated (joke) until the end of the first half when the last major action was a Hendry shot that wasn't far away from an inswinging corner.

The restart saw a few subs come on (Weir for Elliot and Gallasher for Jackson). A series of fluffed or mis-timed shots for Scotland followed with the ball peppering over the bar or directly at the keeper. Booth was one of the main culprits and missed a few sitters / half chances.

Gallacher came close with one shot and the end of the match saw a fairly disappointed Scots support head off into the by now torrential rain !

To the Tartan Army Page or the Match Reports Page