Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to World Cup 2002 «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

Kernaghan

GET A LIFE!!!

GG, I agree that we have a worrying lack of firepower. I think it has something to do with Sven insisting on playing a carthorse by the name of Heskey in every damn match. The man has scored three goals in 28 games (one of which was against Malta) yet he plays and goal machine Fowler rots on the bench . Also Gerrard and Dyer, our two best attacking midfieldsrs, are absent.

Look at Argentina and France though - six games between them and two goals (one from a corner, one a penalty - sound familiar??). We're not in such bad company.

I agree the general standard has been poor. England have been unimpressive but we've been no worse than France, Portugal, Argentina or Germany. Quit picking on us hey?

The hosts are playing quite well but hosts tend to in front of their own fans. Brazil have looked fun but who have they played? Only Spain and Italy look genuinely impressive to me.

-----
one cross

Total Posts: 1092 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 5:15 pm on June 12, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

Jeezo Kernie, getting carried away there.
I think you'll find Portugal and Germany have done quite well. You've a high opinion of England if you're comparing your world Cup performance with them...
Also I like your quote about "not in such bad company as Argentina and Frane"! I hope you're right. ie. on the plane home in the near future...

I agree with you about Heskey though. Really made me p*ss masel laughing when one of the commentators suggested that Janker was a "non-scoring striker", and his co-commentator said wryly - "There's not much call for them these days..." (The irony was probably lost on them though).

-----
Order your TAMB T-Shirt here.
https://t-army.com/OrderForm.doc
(Next batch in late Autumn - subject to demand/minimum order).

Total Posts: 1502 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 8:31 pm on June 12, 2002 | IP
Corkie

GET A LIFE!!!

Kernie,

I think that you'll notice that Dyer is still in the squad - he is sh1t but he is there :flush: (I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me )

BTW You said 'The hosts are playing quite well but hosts tend to in front of their own fans. '   ---  1966 or what

-----
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. - Dandemis

Total Posts: 261 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 9:17 pm on June 12, 2002 | IP
ReekySporran

GET A LIFE!!!

CUFC - remind me of the score when the Greatest Team on Earth played against our pub team?

-----
www.sporran-legion.co.uk

Total Posts: 567 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 10:50 pm on June 12, 2002 | IP
Kernaghan

GET A LIFE!!!

When? It was 7-2 in 1955, 9-3 in 1961, 5-0 in 1973, 5-1 in 1975....

...2-0 in 1999 ...

Jeez, be more specific

Corkie... more irrelevant references to 1966 I see... will you never learn . But since you ask, yes. Home advantage 'tis always good.

And Dyer is shit??? Do you mean General Dyer?? Coz Kieron's the business!!

-----
one cross

Total Posts: 1092 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 12:16 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
Rista UF

GET A LIFE!!!

I just had to add one more flag there.
GO DENMARK!
----------------------------------------------------------

Total Posts: 376 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 8:38 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
CUFC England

GET A LIFE!!!

Jeez guys - calm down.

I was asked - very reasonably - for my opinion on England's low-scoring games so far, and whether I was worried. I give my opinion and get back a barrage of rubbish about how France have loads of good players, England's group being 'mediocre' (??!?), the World Cup being of a poor standard, England's games being boring, how I think we are the greatest team in the world (where did that come from?) etc etc etc.

All I did was say I'm not that worried that we haven't scored a bagful, since we were in a tight group and have players in our team capable of scoring goals. If people really find that offensive I would suggest they are being a bit over-sensitive.

Oh and sonny - it wasn't a dive.

-----
Still only 7.

Total Posts: 612 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 8:53 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

CUFC,
you put your emoticon about half a dozen words too soon...

-----

Total Posts: 1502 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 8:57 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
Bzzzz

One and Only!

Yer arse...

It was a blatant dive!

dunno what camera angle you saw it from

-----
Quia quamdiu Centum ex nobis viui remanserint, nuncquam Anglorum dominio aliquatenus volumus subiugari.

Total Posts: 2858 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 10:37 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
Corkie

GET A LIFE!!!

Or were you wearing your rose tinted specky doodles....

-----
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. - Dandemis

Total Posts: 261 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 10:41 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
CUFC England

GET A LIFE!!!

We have done this to death - but basically, Pochettino stuck his leg out AFTER Owen had put the ball past him. There was contact, it was in the area, so it was a penalty.

Absolutely no question.

Yes, Owen made the most of it and probably would not have gone down so easily if it had been 40 yards from goal. But if it had been 40 yards from goal, it would still have been a foul. You try running past someone as they stick their leg out and see if you can stay on your feet!

Nobody on here is going to admit it was a penalty because of course then you might have to admit that we beat the favourites fair and square, and you wouldn't have any crumb of comfort to try and make yourselves feel better with. But - as has been said - the only opinion that matters is the referee's.

-----
Still only 7.

Total Posts: 612 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 11:40 am on June 13, 2002 | IP
Bzzzz

One and Only!

There was NO contact with the outstretched leg!!!

Bloody watch it again!

But what does it matter? ihe got what he was after... I'd expect any decent player to do the same these days now that cheating is an accepted part of the game.

-----
Quia quamdiu Centum ex nobis viui remanserint, nuncquam Anglorum dominio aliquatenus volumus subiugari.

Total Posts: 2858 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:32 pm on June 13, 2002 | IP
JimFaeKdy

GET A LIFE!!!

Noticed on the news that England been practising  penaltys,even the walk up..........They`ll no need to practise their diving,they`ve got that down to a fine art.

-----
Don`t Eat Yellow Snow

Total Posts: 703 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 7:41 pm on June 13, 2002 | IP
Kernaghan

GET A LIFE!!!

Quote: from Bzzzz on 2:32 pm on June 13, 2002

But what does it matter? ihe got what he was after... I'd expect any decent player to do the same these days now that cheating is an accepted part of the game.

It always has been though. They ust didn't have nine hundred camera angles in the 1920s. I even suspect that, at some stage in football history, a scot may have cheated. Yes.

-----
one cross

Total Posts: 1092 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 1:12 am on June 14, 2002 | IP
JimFaeKdy

GET A LIFE!!!

Aye.........but we cheat fairly..

-----
Don`t Eat Yellow Snow

Total Posts: 703 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:53 am on June 14, 2002 | IP
Diggie Don

Opinionated Wind Bag

Kernie, the problem now is that it's positively encouraged. It's not that long ago that people gave away free kicks and penalties, now the idea is to win them.

A lot of that comes from the total disregard of obstruction as an offence now. Instead of getting an indirect free kick the forward starts to tussle with the defender then falls over to get a direct kick or penalty.

Total Posts: 214 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:03 pm on June 14, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

Difference is we don't go telling the world that 'only foreigners cheat' every time we commentate on a game...

Rangers and Celtic are full of cheats!

(And I've apologised to Ross County fans for Winters diving...)

-----

Total Posts: 1502 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 1:34 pm on June 14, 2002 | IP
Rossy

GET A LIFE!!!

Just out of interest Ally, have Kernie and CUFC ordered message board t-shirts ?  

Total Posts: 378 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 1:40 pm on June 14, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

I have the utmost respect for my customers confidentiality.

I'm no tellin naeb'dy...

-----

Total Posts: 1502 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:53 pm on June 14, 2002 | IP
Diggie Don

Opinionated Wind Bag

Quote: from Ally Macabre on 2:53 pm on June 14, 2002
I have the utmost respect for my customers confidentiality.

I'm no tellin naeb'dy...

So that means they have then

As there's no confidentiality problems if they're not customers

Total Posts: 214 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:57 pm on June 14, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]

© 2001/02 Tartan Army Message Board | Our Privacy Statement