Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to General «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

Jaggy Bunnet

GET A LIFE!!!

Neutral Observer - Blatter wouldn't have been in South America when he said this, would he?  Anyway, he has had the votes he wanted from Africa, so doesn't need to keep in with them anymore.

I wouldn't trust him if he said the sun would rise tomorrow!

Joncutler - I am not saying the Aussies are a bad team or not good enough to be in the World Cup, I just think that asking them just to beat the Cook Islands and Vanuatu is unfair on countries that play real qualifiers.

Total Posts: 396 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 10:29 am on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
davied14

Opinionated Wind Bag

Just to move on to the location of the WC getting rotated between the continents, how many countries in Africa or South America have the infrastructure to cope with the mass influx of people staging the tournament produces?

-----
Just because I wear a skirt,
Don't think I fcuking gay!

Total Posts: 197 | Joined Sep. 2002 | Posted on: 10:36 am on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

The earlier comment about "how many votes" is spot-on.  One more vote was needed to keep someone in his authoritative position, and surprise surprise a certain nation is believed to have promised a vote in return for a place.....  That person is still in position, and spookily that country have just been given a place.
I'm not sure about pre-qualification.  A few world cups ago China pre-qualified to get into a main Asian group.  They qualified out of the Group.  They then went into another mingroup and play-offs against New Zealand and lost out very narrowly, after having played more games than it normally takes to win the Cup itself!  The World Cup is something that lots of us disagree on - should it be the world's best 32 countries (how do you decide that?) or should it be the best from each continent, giving the 'small' teams like South Korea the chance to get a footballing lesson from bigger teams like, erm, Poland or Portugal.

(Edited by randers at 12:07 pm on Dec. 19, 2002)

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 12:04 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
Jaggy Bunnet

GET A LIFE!!!

Its easy to find the best 32 teams, you base the qualifying groups on a worldwide instead of a continental basis - downside is if Scotland were to draw El Salvador, China and Samoa travel costs would be a bit steep!

Alternatively you allocate 16 places based on regional qualifying (Asia inc Oceania 4, Africa 4, Europe 4, Americas 4), with the other 16 being competed for by the next 16 countries in each continent played on a two leg knockout basis.  You have representation from every continent guaranteed, but also can have up to 20 from any one continent if their teams prove on the park they deserve it.

Problem is there would be no way for anyone in FIFA to hand out favours in exchange for votes/brown envelopes etc. so they won't like it.

Total Posts: 396 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 12:29 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

The first option doesn't really achieve it Jaggy - e.g. the third in one world-wide group could be better than the first in another.  So they'd have to be seeded instead of just being drawn out of a hat.  But for seeding how would you decide if Nigeria are better or worse than Paraguay or New Zealand?  We're stuck with continent-based qualifiction....which leaves teh votes & brown envelopes to decide how many places each continent gets.

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 1:43 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
Phil MaGlass

GET A LIFE!!!

Agree with Jaggy the draw should be made exactly like that.

Total Posts: 718 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 1:52 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

His first or his second suggestion?

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 1:54 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
MCTEAGLE

GET A LIFE!!!

Australia challenge - name 3 famous Australians who are not famous for Sport or Entertainment.
i.e. An Australian who is famous for his achievements using his brain.

Only clever Australian I can think of is Clive James, and his fame is mainly for presenting 'Clive James on TV' and not from the books he's written.

-----
18 years difference - still the record.http://www.mcteagle.co.uk

Total Posts: 484 | Joined Aug. 2002 | Posted on: 2:21 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

Ned Kelly.
Paul Keating
Robert Menzies
Skippy

Know what you mean - but being so far away we only hear about sport & entertainment.

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 2:31 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
MCTEAGLE

GET A LIFE!!!

Don't think it's anything to do with distance - they're just not a very bright race?

and Ned Kelly was an outlaw - that's notoriety not earned fame.

I'll give you Skippy as he must have saved hundreds of people from collapsed mine shafts etc over the years.

-----

Total Posts: 484 | Joined Aug. 2002 | Posted on: 2:36 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

Wonder what they would answer if asked the same question?  Would they think of lots of famous not-entertainment not-sport Scots, but who were doing their clever things before mid-1800's, before Australia was really a settled 'inustrial' nation?  They wouldn't have needed them before then.  (Settlers, farmers, exploreers, and prison wardens were more use before that time).

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 2:50 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
footsoldier

GET A LIFE!!!

Randers, are you Australian?

-----
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilization." - Voltaire

Total Posts: 615 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:55 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

No cobber.  (Just don't like dismissing foreign countries).

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 3:04 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
MCTEAGLE

GET A LIFE!!!

Footsoldier - I think he must be.  
I was in a bar when I was down to see you when you were the sleeping cell in England, and a bunch of Australians were arguing about whether Haggis were real or not!  F****n balloons.  (One guy said he'd thought it was a myth until he met this guy in Edinburgh who assured him that the myth story was put about to protect the haggis from foreign people trying to poach them!!)

and I bet only Australians would be so stupid as to put about a tenner into a 'play pool for cash' machine, not win a feckin thing , then return on the Wednesday afternoon before you catch your train and put another fiver in?

-----

Total Posts: 484 | Joined Aug. 2002 | Posted on: 3:05 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
randers

GET A LIFE!!!

Stone the crows I'm rumbled mate.  I'll just stash Skippy under me arm and get the 'Strine Express back to the land of the glorious Kylie.

-----
dream on...

Total Posts: 318 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 3:14 pm on Dec. 19, 2002 | IP
tommyt

Talks too much

oh for fuxake

i'm glad the aussies will be going to the world cup - and i'll cheer them on after ourselves the irish and the koreans get knocked out

if youse ever happen to go there youll find its an excellent place with excellent people - in my opinion a much better country than here and the folk are just as good.

And just because they are confident about what they are good at  dont have a go - if scottish sportsmen adopted an aussie attitude more often we'd do far better.

And while we are about it I was once asked by an aussie to name 10 living scots he had heard of not counting sportsmen - got there, but with difficulty (Jeez mate - you sure ronnie corbett is scottish etc etc).

Total Posts: 130 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 2:42 am on Dec. 20, 2002 | IP
MCTEAGLE

GET A LIFE!!!

Quote: from tommyt on 2:42 am on Dec. 20, 2002

in my opinion a much better country than here and the folk are just as good.

Well p**s off to Australia then you f****n race traitor.

-----

Total Posts: 484 | Joined Aug. 2002 | Posted on: 8:23 am on Dec. 20, 2002 | IP
Mick North Croy

GET A LIFE!!!

-----
Mick.   Support the TAMB  Sunshine Appeal

Total Posts: 1218 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 9:42 am on Dec. 20, 2002 | IP
Le Mouton

GET A LIFE!!!

Was Ned Kelly Australian?
Was he not some imported outlaw?I genuinely dont know and i am intrigued! (dunno why)

-----
"We meet again this week- a couple of vultures, three hawks and a bunch of chickens."

Total Posts: 864 | Joined Aug. 2002 | Posted on: 7:56 pm on Dec. 20, 2002 | IP
tommyt

Talks too much

macteagle

so much for the TA's friendly nature and welcoming attitude to other countries, yatwat.

APologies for suggesting that Sydney, on of the most sepctacular and cosmopolitan cities in the world, bears positive comparison with anything scotland has to offer.
I must have been pished at the time.

I presume one of these Aussies you keep slagging off shagged yir burrd or somethin. Deal with it.

Total Posts: 130 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 8:04 am on Dec. 22, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]

© 2001/02 Tartan Army Message Board | Our Privacy Statement