Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to General «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

joecraigfanclub

Talks too much

Was wondering recently, given the relatively poor quality of football under Craig Brown, if anybody knew of any fans who had introduced a bit of quality control into their football viewing and had stopped going to Scotland games as the team were so crap?
Would it ever get so bad that people would stop following the team or would an increasing number of English born players getting more and more caps have an effect of driving fans away?

Total Posts: 137 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 7:09 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
William Wallace

GET A LIFE!!!

I hate the idea of fair-weather fans, if you really support a team it shouldnae matter how well they play. But there certainly are plenty of them, saying that I don't know of any personally who have stopped going to the games recently.

-----
Scotland Forever England 0 - 1 Scotland (Wembley '99) Hutchinson (39')-------We're bought and sold for English gold.

Total Posts: 643 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 8:03 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
craig smith

GET A LIFE!!!

I know of one guy who stopped going under broon, he said he wouldn't go back until broon was gone, fair play tae the man, if you dont like something dont do it, it's one of the main things we have as football fans to show we are not happy, I thought broon was shite anaw but kept going doesnt make me better or worse than somebody who stopped.
all the best

-----
BRING STICKS!

Total Posts: 373 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 9:10 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

I guess since I never stopped going to club games it's not possible for poor results to drive me away. If I ever drift away it won't be for that reason.

The anglo's don't worry me too much, but if the rules get too relaxed and we end up with a team of Di Canios and Amorusos playing as 'naturalised' Scots I guess I'd probably give up. The team has to represent Scotland as far as I'm concerned.

-----
Order your TAMB T-Shirt here.
https://t-army.com/OrderForm.doc
(Next batch in late Autumn - subject to demand/minimum order).

Total Posts: 1755 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:28 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
perthshirebell

Something to say

broon was terrible, was amazed when everyone was chanting  his name last game he was terrible.  Mind he was in charge of junior development when in charge, its his fault were so bad now. apart from burchill. scotlands no 1

Total Posts: 59 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 12:36 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Andy Gray

GET A LIFE!!!

HELP.......found ma'sel' agreeing wae Ally Mac again!!!

-----
CROY TARTAN ARMY

Total Posts: 1781 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 1:41 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
marthacleaner

Something to say

Know lots of people who said they were never going back AFTER a performance but by the time the next fixture rolled round blind optimism had taken affect again and the same sequence of events occured.  

However, I do belive non attendance is the only tool that fans have that can cause change although I don't think anything cuts the mustard at the SFA.

-----
Martha Cleaner FC - Dunfermline

Total Posts: 92 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 7:50 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Slinky

GET A LIFE!!!

If you can watch your team win - you can watch your team get beat.

-----
"whit's below your kilt?" said the pretty foreign lass.  "pit yir haun up and see" I replied.  "Oooh it's gruesome" she shrecked.  "well" I answered, "Put you haun up again, cause its grew some mare!!"

Total Posts: 261 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 8:05 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

I don't think none attendance makes any difference to the powers that be. I don't think they get the point or ever do anything to really change things as a result.

I think the only thing they will listen to, if they listen to anything, is vocal demonstrations.

Anyway, poor performances wouldn't stop me from going. Football isn't like any other commodity to me as it becomes a part of your life and your heart. Particulary so when following Sctoland as it also becomes a demonstration of national identity.

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 8:24 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Rossy

GET A LIFE!!!

Is this the sound of bagpipes in the hills I hear ?
Reality check. I don't know anybody that's stopped going to games because we're shite...but I do know quite a few guys who have stopped going for other reasons. Financial, marriage/divorce, kids, etc etc. These are all guys who are fanatical fans but have decided that other things just have to take priority....I also know a couple of guys who were founder members of the TA and never missed a game, but won't go now because they think that the whole TA thing has become over the top and is full of bandwagon jumpers.
Each to their own, I'm not going to criticise them for it.

(Edited by Rossy at 8:39 am on July 18, 2002)

Total Posts: 419 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 8:37 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

Sorry Rossy if how I feel is too sentimental for you....

Think I would rather you critised those who have stopped going than my overly sentimental support of my country. Or critised neither.

(Edited by Lamia at 8:47 am on July 18, 2002)

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 8:45 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Rossy

GET A LIFE!!!

I'm sorry !!!!!!
Nae criticism meant, honest...just a bad start to the morning.
Friends ?

Total Posts: 419 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 8:59 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
amsterdam scot

Talks too much

stopped going to as many games as I used to for a variety of reasons, main one being that I realised that football was not the main thing in my life. This is just a personal thing and not judging others. The other reason was something that Rossy touched on and that was that I felt the whole TA thing was getting out of hand - people who I knew were becoming quite elitist about the whole thing and criticising others who only turned up for the big games etc. But as Rossy said each to their own and the one thing I will never do is stop supporting Scotland in my own way.

(Edited by amsterdam scot at 9:50 am on July 18, 2002)

Total Posts: 137 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 9:48 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Jam

GET A LIFE!!!

Stopped gaun tae Dunfermline games several year ago. Partly coz I moved awa', also coz the atmosphere came pash wi the all seaters, and also coz I didnae want tae spend every Saturday at fitba games. Still support the Pars but I'm no the diehard that I used tae be.

Got intae follaein Scotland at the same time and get masel tae a fair number of games these days - although I miss a lot of friendlies. About 3 a yea really which is enough fir me. The potential for liver failure will nae doot curtail my Scotland addiction further in years to come but that's a lang way intae the future.

-----
Yer haverin pash!

Total Posts: 733 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:07 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Tartan Sheep

GET A LIFE!!!

Like Craig, I know someone who said he wouldn't go while Brown was still manager and, fair play to him, he's now going again.

Personally, I go not just for the football (let's face it, if it was about the football, none of us would go!) but for the craic and cameraderie that goes along with supporting Scotland. I can't imagine that ever changing and that's due, in no small way, to all of you (and all of those who are not TAMB contributers but are every bit as passionate about Scotland)

-----
...if we join, we can win. if we win, well then we'll have something that we've never had...a country of our own

Total Posts: 709 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:33 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
wonderkid69

GET A LIFE!!!

For the first time in many years i've not renewed my season ticket at Tynecastle......i'll still go to most of the games but the 300 hundred and odd pound up front just doesn't represent good value for money for me anymore.The SPL has been a two horse race for too long now and the atmosphere at Tyncastle is one of the worst in the country,with the exception of the derby and the old firm games.As for the Scotland games i can't see myself stopping whilst i can afford it and am young and carefree.....i may have to curtail it when i'm married with kids etc but that's a long way off i hope.It's just too much fun....simple as that.The best thing i ever done was start following Scotland and touchwood i'll be at the vast majority of games for the forseeable future.

-----
Nikki Wood

Total Posts: 477 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:05 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
GoldenOldie

Fresh ideas

Surely the point of being a fan is supporting the team through thick and thin - mind you Andy Roxburgh followed by Craigie Broon tried the patience! Oh and as another Pars fan on the board its been difficult to summon enthusiasm sometimes in recent years.......

Total Posts: 26 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 12:31 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
ScottishMagpie

Talks too much

Tartan Sheep.

I go for the football & to support the team, anything else is secondary to that and a bonus.

Total Posts: 127 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:37 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
Janco

GET A LIFE!!!

Quote: from Rossy on 8:37 am on July 18, 2002
I also know a couple of guys who were founder members of the TA and never missed a game, but won't go now because they think that the whole TA thing has become over the top and is full of bandwagon jumpers.
Each to their own, I'm not going to criticise them for it.

Personally I think this is a worse reason than not going because the team's crap. That's just snobbery isn't it?

Quote: from Lamia on 8:24 am on July 18, 2002
I don't think none attendance makes any difference to the powers that be. I don't think they get the point or ever do anything to really change things as a result.

I don't know if you were referring to just Scotland, but non attendance certainly does change things, the best example probably being Celtic in 94. Obviously there were the other things you mention too, but it was a game against Kilmarnock with an attendance of 8000 (if I remember rightly) which tipped the scales. The fans who stayed away weren't lesser fans, in fact, they were the fans who cared enough to make changes, and gave them the club as it is today. Never underestimate your power as a fan. When you do, that's when you're taken for granted. For example, most folk say they'd go no matter what: what about if they kept putting the prices up? How much would you pay before you thought you were being treated unfairly?

(Edited by Janco at 3:23 pm on July 18, 2002)

-----
"...but nothing could damp John Faa's pleasure in being on campaign once more"

Total Posts: 494 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 2:15 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
finlayhird

Something to say

in my opinion most true tartan army footsoldiers love scotland like myself and find going to scotland games a treat cause all the woes of your domestic team go out the window when your at a scotland match. win lose or draw i will always follow scotland. a few people have been slagging craig brown well inmo they are not true supporters of scotland and most guys i meet thought craig was a good manager maybe one of the best weve had. well rant over the above is my own opinion feel free to argue some o my points but i think most tambers will agree with my comments.

-----
(i)finlay hird

Total Posts: 98 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 3:55 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 ]

© 2001/02 Tartan Army Message Board | Our Privacy Statement