Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to General «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

The Kilt

Opinionated Wind Bag

I estimate there was 8 in South korea. Tired to count but I kept seeing red!

-----
Supporting Scotland has cost my girlfriend & loads of cash ...i have never been happier

Total Posts: 238 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 5:38 pm on July 16, 2002 | IP
The Kilt

Opinionated Wind Bag

This is a great thread. One thing that keeps coming up is Money.

I will not mention names but I know a good number of guys that go to away/home games and they are not wealthy. They work hard for their scotland trips.

-----
Supporting Scotland has cost my girlfriend & loads of cash ...i have never been happier

Total Posts: 238 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 5:47 pm on July 16, 2002 | IP
Ruary

GET A LIFE!!!

Woops looks like I've been at the old nonsense of drink typing.....I plead guilty to the offence m'lord.
I think what I was trying to say was that I have always managed to get a ticket for any game I have wanted to see. There always seems to be one or two tickets floating about as for one reason someone drops out or cant make a trip. The only games that I can recall being more difficult to get tickets for were Paris 98 and Wembley 96 and 99. The system therefore seems to work at the moment so until the numbers get really big we shouldnt have too many problems. It was good that the SFA asked the supporters for their opnions on the situation but as can be seen by the responses we will never be in full agreement as to the fairest way of allocating tickets when the demand outstrips the supply.
Wee John I was certainly not suggesting that any of the clubs get preferential treatment as far as I know the clubs apply for tickets the same as everyone else and my point was really that you have as much chance of getting a ticket whether you are in a club or an independant traveller like myself.
Min in my opinion one of the problems with football nowadays is that everything is ticketed and so you cant just turn up with your mates pay to get in and sit where you want. Therefore as you are not with your mates you might feel a little less inclined to voiciferously back the team. I think the initiative taken by Marjory to allow us TAMBers to apply for tickets in the same area is a great step forward and I take my hat off to her for allowing this to happen as we are not all members of clubs or ATAC. In effect she has recognised the TAMB as a club and when you look at the numbers of members it is surely the biggest "club" going. I see nothing wrong with wanting to sit together with your fellow posters many of whom you dont necessarily know in the flesh but this will be a perfect opportunity to meet more TAMBers and if you dont want to do that then dont put TAMB on your ticket application.

-----
TAMB Sunshine Appeal show the true face of the Tartan Army remember "one beer less" can make one hell of a difference
The future is bright the future is Scottish

Total Posts: 1677 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 5:48 pm on July 16, 2002 | IP
William Wallace

GET A LIFE!!!

Good points Ruary, at the minute I'm not in the position to be in a club (mainly because of the fact that there isnae one close enough), so for me the TAMB section is a great opportunity to meet new people because normally at a game I wouldnae really talk to the people around about me. But at the Denmark game I will at least know (albeit electronically) a few of the people in the section,it's always more fun watching game with your mates and hopefully we'll make even more noise.

-----
Scotland Forever England 0 - 1 Scotland (Wembley '99) Hutchinson (39')-------We're bought and sold for English gold.

Total Posts: 642 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 6:24 pm on July 16, 2002 | IP
min

Opinionated Wind Bag

Quote: from Lamia on 5:33 pm on July 16, 2002
"Don't feel a ticket split between a ballot and loyalty is a goer for the Iceland game due to the minimal amount of tickets in the first place and the complications involved. "

Why should it matter how many tickets are involved (in fact the lower the number of tickets/higher the demand the more the argument stacks up IMO) And what additional complications are there with this arrangement anyway.

I think it does matter how many tickets are involved. A split could easily be used for a game like Germany away where we should get around 6,000 tickets with twice that amount travelling. A simple qualifying criteria like that used for the Wembley '99 game could be implemented: anyone who has been to one or more of the other 3 away qualifiers is guaranteed a ticket (would account for about 2500-3000 tickets), the remaining tickets would be balloted.

I think the complications arise in the Iceland situation with the setting of the criteria to establish who are the 350 most "loyal" fans (if it's a 50:50 split). This thread has thrown up dozens of different views and there is no real concensus as to what criteria should be used:

Should only the last campaign attendances be taken into consideration... or the last 4 years... or 10 years...

Should home games count and if so what weighting.

Should friendlies home and/or away count and if so what weighting.

Should overall travel distances count (for ex-pats and people living in outlying areas).

Should length of STC membership count.

etc.

There are probably about 1500-2000 footsoldiers who class themselves as regular travellers, to narrow that down further is I believe complicated and no system will seem fair.

Total Posts: 179 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 9:50 am on July 17, 2002 | IP
charlie walker

Fresh ideas

i think the sfa should do as much as possiblie to get tickets for all fans traveling to the faroes and iceland as these guys myself included booked up as soon as the dates were given

Total Posts: 1 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 12:09 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
WillfaeSwindon

GET A LIFE!!!

I think the SFA do their best in getting as many tickets as possible for the Scotland fans but its not always possible to satisy fy everyone especially in smaller stadia. You cant exactly expect the home teams to allow more away fans in than home fans (saying that they did in San Marino!!!)

-----
Will
willfaeswindon@swindontartanarmy.com
http://www.swindontartanarmy.com

Total Posts: 2282 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:11 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

Quote: from min on 9:50 am on July 17, 2002
I think the complications arise in the Iceland situation with the setting of the criteria to establish who are the 350 most "loyal" fans (if it's a 50:50 split). This thread has thrown up dozens of different views and there is no real concensus as to what criteria should be used:

Should only the last campaign attendances be taken into consideration... or the last 4 years... or 10 years...

Should home games count and if so what weighting.

Should friendlies home and/or away count and if so what weighting.

Should overall travel distances count (for ex-pats and people living in outlying areas).

Should length of STC membership count.

etc.

There are probably about 1500-2000 footsoldiers who class themselves as regular travellers, to narrow that down further is I believe complicated and no system will seem fair.

These complications and arguments exist no matter which game you are talking about i.e including the Germany game. However I do get your point that at least for the Germany game you have the option of using a number of the previous away qualifiers which you do not have with Iceland and a larger allocation with which to accommodate people.

I still think that some sort of split (accepting many will still feel it unfair) for Iceland at least guarantees some of the regulars a ticket which imo is better than none at all.

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 7:02 pm on July 17, 2002 | IP
Big Doug

Something to say

Interesting that there are so many different opinions and a great many very valid reasons and arguments for "fairer" distribution of tickets but what is fair for one is grossly unfair to another.

Two wee points I have picked up on,
a) My party for the S.Korea game consisted of 30 ex-pats who all work out there and are no less vociferious in the support of there team for that, howevere we were spread out throughout the home support so it was likr farting against thunder.

b)As I said I work overseas and usually time my vacations to coincide with away games and am already planning trips to Vilnius and Dortmund, I have travelled to most games since Italia 90 so should I be penalised in my application for tickets as I have a poor attendance record at Hampden ?

I do welcome the recent inovation to play games close together and hope that this might see an improvement in my Hampden record, however sometimes it is easier to travel half way accross the world to see Scotland away than from the NE of Scotland to attend Hampden.

-----
Doug

Total Posts: 51 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 10:33 am on July 18, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

When I left school and went to Paisley to study I went to about 80-90% of Aberdeen's away matches. Pittodrie was just a bit too far for me to get to.

Because of the voucher system this meant I couldn't get tickets for the big European matches - and missed out on Ipswich, Bayern Munich, Hamburg etc etc etc. And those games were not on the telly in those days either!

I didn't even think twice about it - and didn't feel aggreived that I was left out. It was simply a sad fact of life.

There is no all-encompassing fair system, but the system used has to reward those that turn up and support the team first and foremost.

-----
Order your TAMB T-Shirt here.
https://t-army.com/OrderForm.doc
(Next batch in late Autumn - subject to demand/minimum order).

Total Posts: 1755 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 1:05 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
brian67

Fresh ideas

No-one seems to have mentioned that in the past STC have set out the rules for tickets - WC98 got tickets on basis of number of matches attended in qualifiers and Wembly was based upon no. of games attended in the last 2 campaigns and if applied for Czech ticket but did not get one.  

Can not see anything wrong with this. Mighty pissed off that did not get ticket for Prague dispite good away track record, yet others with no previous games got a ticket.

Best bet would be most tickets to regulars and small amount for general ballot.

-----
brian 67

Total Posts: 7 | Joined Feb. 2002 | Posted on: 1:38 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
BTA

Fresh ideas

A point that no one has made as yet is that all the ticketing problems in Iceland have been caused by FIFA (who are supposed to promote the game). The ground holds 14,000 but as the terracing can't be used according to FIFA 1,200 or so tartan army may struggle to get a ticket. Surely common sense would be to allow restricted numbers on the terracing and this would enable everyone who wants to see the game getting in whilst boosting the coffers of the Icelandic FA.   As there is no chance of FIFA showing common sense a way to distribute the tickets for this game may be to give priority to those going to the Faroes and then ballot the rest. As the Faroes is the first game of the Euro 2004 qualifiers and everyone in the STC has the chance to attend it gets round the argument of number of games attended over the years against new members. Most people want to go to Iceland due to its party culture but are less enthusiastic about going to the windswept Faroes so surely those who go to the trouble of supporting the team in the opening game of the campaign should get some sort of reward.

Total Posts: 1 | Joined July 2002 | Posted on: 7:20 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
C Mc

GET A LIFE!!!

BTA

Disagree - i think you'll find that most going to the Faroes will also be going to Iceland. Many who can't afford both (admittedly expensive trips within weeks of each other) would have found it easier to get to Iceland. I think it also goes without saying that given the costs involved, anyone going to either match should be commended.
"Most people want to go to Iceland due to its party culture"  - bit of an insult.

-----
C Mc

Total Posts: 373 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 7:42 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
TA Ealing

GET A LIFE!!!

Aye BTA the 'party culture' is Iceland is a bonus - I am going to both Faroes and Iceland and hard pushed to decide which one I'm looking forward to the most!

I wouldn't be going to Iceland if it wasnae for the football.

BTW - Welcome to the board!

-----
Campbeltown Loch, I Wish You Were Whisky

www.taealing.co.uk

Total Posts: 1375 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 7:54 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
craig smith

GET A LIFE!!!

BTA
I am going to Iceland just couldn't afford the faroes aswell, if I had the cash I would've been there, Iceland seems like a more value for money trip and beleive me it's costing me a fortune, I am going for 8 days to do touristy stuff before the throng arrive, never been one for clubbing, I am not going for the party culture, didnt even know it had one till I booked it up.
I aslo agree with janco here, why is it to play in the premier league you need a stadium of note yet you can play internationals in a public park, they should build temp stands and be done with it!

-----
BRING STICKS!

Total Posts: 362 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 7:56 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
Ross

GET A LIFE!!!

Can't afford to go to both the games but I'm going to Iceland as it is by far the biggest game.  We SHOULD beat the Faroes lets face it while I see the Iceland game as the key to qualification.  If you look at it that way which is the way I looked at it then Iceland is the obvious choice.  

-----
Who Are Ya!?

Total Posts: 356 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:15 pm on July 18, 2002 | IP
Jonny

GET A LIFE!!!

Like Ross, I cannae afford to go to both the Faroes and Iceland. Having always wanted to go to Iceland anyway there was only going to be one venue for me. Iceland it has to be.
The 'party culture' is a mere (nice) aside - I'm going for the fitba - if there wisnae a game I widnae be gaun.

Before the draw I'd been hoping for a Faroes/Iceland double header next June for a 2/3 week ferry/swahllie/hillwalking/sun no settin/TA/miraculous/fitba holiday.
(Fortunately the Norway game game has provided me with an excellent contingency )

WRT tickets, its the Travel Club, so home games shouldnae count. Whether it's part ballot/loyalty or all loyalty ( I don't think it should be all ballot) shouldnae really matter. I don't know anyone that's travelled to an away game and not somehow got a ticket.
I got my Prague ticket off the Czech Embassy, along with a lot of others and there wis plenty for sale when we got to Prague.

Someone awready mentioned that there's still a chance the Icers FA may be persuaded to put up temporary stands, but even without that, admittedly there's probably gaunnae be a shortage of about 1000-1500 tickets if (my estimate 2000ish) make the trip.

So, after reading the Lonely PLanet on Iceland, I suggest sneakin in an extra bottle of whisky as a trade for a ticket - the Icers wullnae resist that yin! .

Total Posts: 630 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 1:18 am on July 19, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

Jonny, Going back to min's point then.

What games do you think should count to determine loyalty for the Iceland game?

I think min is right that that is a difficult one particularly if you are not going to count the Faroes game. (and I am sure many will argue the same for the HK/SK games)

And according to others on here expense should not come into the criteria and you shouldn't have the right to pick and choose your matches.  (a view you will have seen with which I do not concur)

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 8:25 am on July 19, 2002 | IP
Jonny

GET A LIFE!!!

Lamia

I think only the away the 2002 qualifiers and the friendlies of that time since should count. So that would be

Latvia
San Marino
Croatia
Belgium
France
HK & SA.

I think that Hong Kong should be included even though I never went - the few hundred (?) that did go wouldn't make that much difference to the end result if all 6 games were taken into account.
I'd say that anyone that went to (say) 3 or 4 of the above or more (guess how many I went to ) that applies should get a ticket. If there are too many applications, then a ballot. If there's not enough applications (I think this likely) then the remaing tickets could be divied up in a ballot.

Total Posts: 630 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 3:06 pm on July 19, 2002 | IP
WillfaeSwindon

GET A LIFE!!!

Sounds good to me...... I was at all of them apart from South Korea

-----
Will
willfaeswindon@swindontartanarmy.com
http://www.swindontartanarmy.com

Total Posts: 2282 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 3:36 pm on July 19, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ]