Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to General «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 4 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

Tartan Sheep

GET A LIFE!!!

Well, Sonny, I've watched every game Kev McNaughton has played for Aberdeen over the past two seasons, as well as seeing him make his debut at both under 21 and full international levels for Scotland, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is a star. Brilliant going forward, excellent in defence, not afraid to have a shot (witness the goal he scored for the Under 21s against Latvia), superb ball control....the lad has it all. I'd go as far as to say he's the best player I've ever seen in a Dons shirt.

-----
...if we join, we can win. if we win, well then we'll have something that we've never had...a country of our own

Total Posts: 709 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 4:23 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
Suave

Fresh ideas

Apart from Willie Miller of course.

Every dons fan's favourite player is really their 2nd favourite player since Willie was the greatest defender this country has ever produced.

Instant results/long term plan. A balance needs to be struck and we MUST finish at least 2nd in the group or we're in big trouble. McNaughton isn't a player for the future though, he's one for now - England had Owen in at 18 because he was good enough - Kevin is in that same category.

Total Posts: 44 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 4:32 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
sonny

GET A LIFE!!!

It is possible TS,

I just don't see him getting the adulation of Dalglish, Baxter or Law. The ones I mentioned have that sort of potential. Hope you are right and we have a team full of stars!

-----
When up they gat, and shook their lugs, Rejoiced they were nae men but dogs; An' each took aff his several way, Resolved to meet some ither day.

Total Posts: 2530 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 4:37 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
Tartan Sheep

GET A LIFE!!!

Sadly, Suave, I only started going to games towards the end of Willie's career (first live game was in '86) so I think Kev would be above him on the list of players I've seen play in the flesh. Of course, taking into account all the times I saw Willie play on the telly, he'd be at number one always

You make an interesting point, Sonny - but I can't think of any defenders who get that sort of adulation (except maybe Roberto Carlos and Cafu but they clearly don't see themselves as defenders ) He certainly gets adulation in the North East (and from us reds in other places!)....maybe that will one day spread to the whole country. Only time will tell.

-----
...if we join, we can win. if we win, well then we'll have something that we've never had...a country of our own

Total Posts: 709 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 4:55 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
Auld_Reekie

Talks too much

Afternoon

Refreshing debate to get away from World Cup arguments and anything to do with ze English.

Im certainly more encouraged after Bertie took the lads out to the far east. Fair enough, we were crap but ah tell ye, I seen a few lads out there who Id happily have in the first squad right away. For me, Maurice Ross was outstanding and add him to several of the players mentioned in this thread, and there is enough talent to be working with.

Few areas of concern are who will fill Lambo's shoes; the attitude of Fergie (world class but we need him to show us that he wants international football) and centre halfs. As much as I admire Dailly, Weir, Im not entirely convinced and would feel a little better if we had some other guys coming through.

All in all though, Denmark may be a friendly but it will be the start of the most important period in Scottish football for my generation. As Jaggy Bunnett has stated, this qualifying campaign will decide if we are classed as 2nd seeds or 3rd seeds. Never mind qualifying, never mind play offs, never mind Portugal, never mind Germany: If we become 3rd seeds Im afraid all the work Berti is putting in will be ruined. We all WANT to be at the major championships but to overcome two higher seeds would be devastating.

Im confident however - with the injection of guys like Ross and McNaughton, I think we can look forward to a good campaign...

AR.

PS: Mark Burchill isnae fit to lick ma boots never mind put on a Scotland top.

Total Posts: 110 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 5:22 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

Alan your point about if they are not  up to it by the time 20 then they never will be is as Suave says absolute tosh. Players develop at different rates some are ready at 18 some only come into their own in the late 20's or even 30's.

The point about instant results. I don't think we are being realistic if we think things are going to change overnight but I am concerned that we will not qualify for 2004 and thus drop to 3rd seeds making things even harder in the future. Again as Suave says there needs to be a balance. The only thing I would disagree with Suave on in fact is Darren YOUNG...

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 7:19 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
Rossy

GET A LIFE!!!

Burp.

(Edited by Rossy at 8:27 pm on July 2, 2002)

Total Posts: 419 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 8:17 pm on July 2, 2002 | IP
jimbers

GET A LIFE!!!

I agree it is RESULTS that are important Fletcher/P McG can play in the U18's-U21's the problem they face is they dont play with/against quality oppostion week in week out

Total Posts: 496 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 2:47 am on July 3, 2002 | IP
Lamia

GET A LIFE!!!

Ok jimbers if thats what you think, who do you suggest? What youngsters meet your criteria?

It will be difficult for you to find youngsters on the OF books who meet this criteria (I am assuming you class the OF as quality teams) since most do not get regular games playing for their quality team. And if you think the rest of the SPL isn't quality what is testing or helping to develop these young OF players even if they are getting regular games???

I would suggest that only youngsters playing regular games in the English Premiership would therefore qualify going on your standards.  Now let me think mmmmmm.....

-----
Three vermillion snakes of female face. The smallest motion, filled with grace.
By faint degrees, voice, lute and pleasure ceased. A deadly silence step by step increased......

Total Posts: 2468 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 8:21 am on July 3, 2002 | IP
Suave

Fresh ideas

Jimbers, does snuffing out Hartson, Larsson, Sutton Balde, et al at Pittodrie last year (when we played with 10 men for the last 15 mins) count under your criteria?

It's the attitude that you are only good enough if you play for the OF that stopped the careers of players such as Paul Lambert from representing his country until he moved from Motherwell.

Each has to be judged on their merits - and for a young defender McGuire is as good as they come.

Total Posts: 44 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 11:02 am on July 3, 2002 | IP
jimbers

GET A LIFE!!!

the young center back CRAINEY comes to mind strait away, Ferguson and Hughes are also young,

I would argue though our best Under 21 players play in the Under 21's at least for now,

even if it ment all our best young players playing in the Isreal U21 match

Your right about the English Prem our youngst players are Naysmith, Dobie and Stockdale all who proberly merit a call up to the full squad (not any of them are 21 or Under!)

when we play the Faeros I want to see Scotland BATTER THEM! I want to see our biggest victory 8-0 would be nice.

We owe them BIG time (any scot living in England will be able to explain the riddicule we had to put up with from our kind southern neighbours!!

if Berti sticks with the 442 I would like to see Stockdale as right back and McNaughton in right midfeild his runs are usefull Naysmith as Left back and McCann in a free role left midfeild.

I would expect Maloney/Dobie to be able to score against the faero's (as with all due respect to them) there players are like a Scot Div2/3 side

Matteo would feild left CENTER back and I still think Elliott is better than Dailly (maybe Weir/Crainey may be there), the to Center midfeilders are obvoisly Lambert and Bazza,

I just HOPE Maloney and Crainey (as with Hughes and Ross play enough matches!!)

Total Posts: 496 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 4:56 am on July 4, 2002 | IP
tartangolfer

Fresh ideas

We also have some good young players plying their trade down south Stewart at Man Utd and Williams and Doig at Notts Forest are but a few !

Total Posts: 17 | Joined July 2002 | Posted on: 6:34 pm on July 4, 2002 | IP
jimbers

GET A LIFE!!!

true but in less than a year they may be abit too old for our under 21's

Doig's not good enough for the full team yet...

Maybe I will go and watch Forrest and see how Williams and Doig do

Total Posts: 496 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 1:53 am on July 5, 2002 | IP
WillfaeSwindon

GET A LIFE!!!

IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER ABOUT THE U21s WINNING!!!!!

It is essentially a development team. That means developing them for the full national side. so it doesnt matter if they will be too old for the u21s. Hopefully they will have advanced enough by then to be knocking on the door of the full team

-----
Will
willfaeswindon@swindontartanarmy.com
http://www.swindontartanarmy.com

Total Posts: 2282 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:38 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
Crozzer the Bing

Opinionated Wind Bag

Any player, regardless of age, playing in either the SPL, EPL or E Div 1 should be under serious consideration for the full squad.

I don't agree with this International experience guff....  If your good enough then in you go.  It's lucky for those young enough they can play u21, if someone is a wee bit older and takes the place in the full squad then they still get a game.

Agree wi Jimbers aboot Elliott, Broon always played him out of position.  Even last season despite Leicester's relegation he was solid and that was wi his wife playing away from home on a regular basis.

-----
'... and it brings us back to doh, oh, oh, oh...'                                                                 '...the future is bright, the future is tartan...'

Total Posts: 244 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 2:24 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
Bzzzz

One and Only!

Agree with Will there, I would consider the U-18s winning as more important... again obviously they are a development team but the U-21a are more directly important to the senior team!

What about the lad Maloney?
Ross was and is a revelation, thank f***!
McNaughton aye, Wilkie aye.. WE NEED BLOODY STRIKERS!!! the ones we used in the Far East were proficient but none REALLY stood out.. hmm...

-----
Quia quamdiu Centum ex nobis viui remanserint, nuncquam Anglorum dominio aliquatenus volumus subiugari.

Total Posts: 3332 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:47 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
Crozzer the Bing

Opinionated Wind Bag

Agree wi Bzzzz aboot the strikers, but we need to create the chances for them.

-----
'... and it brings us back to doh, oh, oh, oh...'                                                                 '...the future is bright, the future is tartan...'

Total Posts: 244 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 2:50 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
Bzzzz

One and Only!

Yeh, well we need tae get oor first team midfielders back in the team... (and I have never seen Hutch as a striker!)
It's all VERY interesting...

(Edited by Bzzzz at 2:54 pm on July 5, 2002)

-----
Quia quamdiu Centum ex nobis viui remanserint, nuncquam Anglorum dominio aliquatenus volumus subiugari.

Total Posts: 3332 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 2:52 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
WillfaeSwindon

GET A LIFE!!!

I still think Burchill will be the man. He looked awsome for Pompey at the start of last season (scored 7 in 10 games i believe) before he got injured for the whole season. Couple that with a big target man.... Possibly Kyle... but he needs to be playing, doesnt matter at what level (COME TO SWINDON YOU FOOL!!! LOL). Hutch playing in the hole behind the front to, as alot of teams used successfully in the WC. whatever you do dont listen to the doom and gloom merchants..... the future is bright, the future is Tartan!

-----
Will
willfaeswindon@swindontartanarmy.com
http://www.swindontartanarmy.com

Total Posts: 2282 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 3:35 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP
Crozzer the Bing

Opinionated Wind Bag

That's the spirit Willfae... I'm wi you on Burchill, him and Dobie are the two for me....

Cannae wait until the Denmark game...

-----

Total Posts: 244 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 3:43 pm on July 5, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 3 4 ]

© 2001/02 Tartan Army Message Board | Our Privacy Statement