Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to General «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 ]
Forum moderated by: m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, m6

furry

Fresh ideas

I think that the new hampden although it has all new and nice facilities the noise level inside the ground is not as good as the Old hampden used to be. I remember when the noise used to be deafening at home internationals/cup finals and that is no longer the case anymore. Maybe this is one of the reasons why we didn't do as well as we should have at home in the WC qualifiers. There was a lot of money spent doing up hampden and they could have made it more intimidating for away teams e.g. Celtic park. (I am a Dundee United fan), you just need to look at their home form.
I am not an engineer or anything but all they needed to do was to build the stands at a steeper angle so the back was overlooking the pitch more or build it two tier.

Anyone else feel the same.

-----
I'm  the night wha say's "ecky ecky phtang zoing'rrrr"
I'm now the night wha say's "SCOTLAND SCOTLAND"

Total Posts: 33 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 9:04 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
sleeping warrior

Talks too much

i dont think we did as well at home in the qualifiers because the team played mince!if you fill the new hampden you can get a good atmosphere maybe not quite as good as the old days but fact is we dont fill it anymore and people will only come back to watch better football.by the way i think bertis going about it in the right way and we may soon struggle to get tickets for home games or am i dreaming?

-----
form is temporary, class is permenant

Total Posts: 111 | Joined Nov. 2001 | Posted on: 9:09 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
themongoose

Talks too much

You're dead right Furry, if the stands behind the goals were closer to the pitch then the atmosphre would be far more intimidating. I also think the capacity is about 20,000 less than it should be. Having said all that I was lucky enough to be sitting in the West Stand last night amongst the Real supporters and the atmosphere was absolutely brilliant!!!

-----
Unhook the West Port and let him gae free
For it's up wi' the bonnets o' Bonnie Dundee

Total Posts: 144 | Joined Mar. 2002 | Posted on: 9:11 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Crozzer the Bing

Talks too much

I thought Hampden looked smashing on the telly last night.   But at all new or renovated stadium's the atmosphere is minging.

I reckon it just depends on who is in a particular area.  I remember the SFA tried to put the Travel Club members in the same area for the Australia game.  Good idea but the wrong game.  The atmosphere was pretty flat but that's 'cos we were dire.

Also depends on the opposition, the Germans should bring loads and there will be decent banter.

-----
'... and it brings us back to doh, oh, oh, oh...'                                                                 '...the future is bright, the future is tartan...'

Total Posts: 129 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 9:16 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

I'm disappointed with Hampden as well. The stands are too far from the pitch, and it is difficult to make a lot of noise. But I'm afraid we're stuck with it...

Making it two tier, or steepening the bank angle, or bringing the stands closer to the pitch would mean complete demolition and reconstruction.

I guess it was reconstructed into its current form because that was the most cost-effective way of redeveloping the old stadium. Anything else would have cost seriously more money - and we were lucky to get what we've got!

So yeah, I'm disappointed. But I'm delighted we've got a national stadium. I don't want cup finals at club grounds. And I certainly don't want Scotland to pay "rent" to make our richest clubs even richer...

-----
Order your TAMB T-Shirt here NOW!!!
https://t-army.com/OrderForm.doc
Deadline for orders is TODAY!!!

Total Posts: 1374 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 9:54 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
blackearnside

GET A LIFE!!!

I remember the old Hampden anaw, black stoor up yer nose every goal, soaking wet at celtic end and pished on all over the ground.

Are we absolutely sure that is what we want tae go back tae?

-----
Alba mo gradhach dachaigh duthaich

Blackearnside Tartan Army

Total Posts: 386 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 10:00 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
C Mc

GET A LIFE!!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night. Although it looked nice, I thought it looked provincial, compared to pictures of Nou Camp, San Siro, Old trafford that we see every Wednesday.

The most damning comparison would be against Cardiff, which looked incredible for the FA cup final. and did anyone see the montage at the end of last nights programme, where parkhead looked every bit as special as those stadiums above.

We're not stuck with it at all - they could put another teir on top or hire Murryfield.

Berti has Premiership ambitions, but we've got a 2nd division home.

-----
C Mc

Total Posts: 313 | Joined Dec. 2001 | Posted on: 10:27 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Larky Masher

Something to say

From the perspective of atmosphere Hampden  has been emasculated since it's renovation. The unfortunate thing is that the renovation failed to make Hampden, apart from possibly the South Stand, a world class stadium in fact it vying with Firhill to be the third best stadium in Glasgow. The Hampden renovation was a monumental waste of money caused by ego's in the SFA. I was much happier when the Scotland games were moving round the country at least there was an amtosphere at the games and attendances weren't impacted. In fact I was happier when I was still washing gravel out out my hair and had black snotters three days after a game at the old Hampden.

Total Posts: 74 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 10:29 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
ReekySporran

GET A LIFE!!!

Hampden should have been ground into dust and Murrayfiled used, but hey, thats not in Glesga so no chance!

As far as the stands being too far from the pitch, Porto's ground had the same problem so in order to increase capacity and solve the problem at the same time, they built DOWN and not up, ie they dug out the pitch and dropped it 5 metres or so, and added extra seating at the bottom of the existing seating and, hey presto, bigger capacity and the natural banking of the stadium brought the new seats closer to the pitch. Why not Hampden?

-----
www.sporran-legion.co.uk

Total Posts: 503 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:38 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Swanners

Something to say

Got to agree with you on this one, the atmosphere has not been great for a long time, however I thought the atmosphere last night was superb and shows what a group of fans can do.

Hampden has not had a decent atmosphere for years and sadly that is not just down to the Stadium. There are not enough people willing to make nosie as hampden. I remember the qualifier against England and for most of the match the 5000 england fans were making more noise. The SFA needs to do something about getting more folk to come along and make noise, whether that is dropping prices for smaller nations I do not know, but Hampden needs to find its roar.

-----
'and on the seventh day god created the Scots.'

Total Posts: 95 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 11:47 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
ally

Opinionated Wind Bag

You know the big spaces behind the goals?

why don't they put in a really slightly angled - standing room only area? (couldn't be flat - cos you wouldn't be able to see over big guys' heads) Each end of the pitch could have blokes standing up - like the old days (not that I would know!)
It would fill up the space - and if properly regulated/ secured could make a good case for bringing back limited terracing.

one of my better ideas I think - they should start building NOW!

Total Posts: 179 | Joined Jan. 2002 | Posted on: 11:51 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Ally Macabre

More Than Words

Reeky, dunno.
Maybe the SFA have done some bore holes and found that lowering the ground water table and excavating 50k cubic metres of rock or contaminated land isn't feasible! It really depends on whats in that five metres underneath the pitch!
C Mc,
Sticking an extra tier on top would involve demolition of the existing roof, which probably was in the order of 60-70% of the renovation costs, and replacing it with new upper tier and new roof at about three to five times the cost of the original renovation work... (Guesstimates off the top of my head).
It's possible technically, but unfeasible financially.

Ally
BSc CEng MICE

-----
Order your TAMB T-Shirt here NOW!!!
https://t-army.com/OrderForm.doc
Deadline for orders is TODAY!!!

Total Posts: 1374 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 11:55 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
Swanners

Something to say

Good financial points Ally and you are spot on. There is not the money to upgrade Hampden at the moment. We have to put up with what we have got. There has to be some way to increase noise level.

-----

Total Posts: 95 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 11:57 am on May 16, 2002 | IP
DougieR

Something to say

I don't think its Hampdens fault that the atmosphere at recent qualifiers has been poor. More to do with lack of interest from the majority of the Glasgow public and of course the negative attitudes of the Glasgow press. Stick 25,000 in the Nou Camp or Old Trafford and i don't think you'd get a great atmosphere. Last night the place looked and sounded great and I didn't hear any Real or Bayer fans complainining about the lack of atmosphere.

Hampden is OUR national stadium, lets be proud of it and make the most of it!

Total Posts: 59 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:21 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
Larky Masher

Something to say

Well done Dougie R you've hit the nail on the head, it's Glasgow's fault, get a f***** grip. Hampden might've looked and sounded all right last night as it did on the Cup Final day (sectarian songs aside), but TV can boost sound levels to give veiwers a more "realistic" experience. However these two events don't disguise the fact that Hampden, at best, is an average stadium and one we didn't need. Whilst Bayer and Real fans may not have been complaining about lack of atmosphere how many were complaining about queuing 20 minutes for pish and then queuing 30 minutes for a pie only to find out they ran out at 7:15.

Total Posts: 74 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 12:40 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
DougieR

Something to say

LM - Sorry didn't mean to offend, but i was at the game last night and thought the atmosphere was great, and didn't have to que for either a pish or a pie.

My point was that while we may not agree with the way Hampden was redeveloped (i too would prefer to have shared Murrayfield), we have Hampden now and should make the most of it.

I apologise for trying to be positive!!!!

Total Posts: 59 | Joined Sep. 2001 | Posted on: 12:52 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
Larky Masher

Something to say

Dougie is you were there fair enough, I still don't believe you didn't have to queue for pie or a pish though. I admit we're stuck with Hampden but I don't know how we can make it better............apart from the team starting to play decent football, win games and excite the fans, time for my medication.

Total Posts: 74 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 12:58 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
dave73

Fresh ideas

Am i right in saying that a second tier can still be added to hampden??

Total Posts: 1 | Joined May 2002 | Posted on: 4:42 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
fringo

GET A LIFE!!!

I'd rather the SFA invested any money in developing team and worry about the stadium later.
Not enough investment in Scotland (unlike French example about 10 years ago ) to develop youth etc.
we could have the best stadium in the world but it won't benefit us much if we don't have a team to do it justice :downinthedumps:

-----
“He’s not George Best... but, then again, no one is.”CLIVE TYLDESLEY, ITV

Total Posts: 1081 | Joined Oct. 2001 | Posted on: 5:10 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP
Swanners

Something to say

Fringo

Spot on, we always harp on about, but until we have a decent youth system and even an academy set up then we do not have a chance. Just take a look at Austrailia they have the best sports academy in the world and look at how many sports they are world no 1 in. They even gubbed us in our own back yard.

-----

Total Posts: 95 | Joined April 2002 | Posted on: 5:12 pm on May 16, 2002 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Multiple pages for this topic [ 1 2 ]

© 2001/02 Tartan Army Message Board | Our Privacy Statement